Sunday, August 17, 2014

Birchbox August 2014 Review - Lighten Up

My August Birchbox has arrived and, like always, I cannot wait to see what's inside. I have a few exciting events coming up, and I would love some new beauty items to freshen up my makeup bag. 


I see that new box went back to the old cardboard coloring. I love these classic boxes. I've been reusing them for wrapping gifts. I like them even more when they first arrive to my door and are filled with both samples and full size beauty items. 


The theme for the month of August is lighten up. Each description card has a funny suggestion about August. This month is all about having fun for the last summer month along with lightening up on makeup. I hope this box is full of items that will help me from piling on my face with products. 


LAQA & Co. Sheer Lip Lube Pencil in Menatour

$18.00 - 0.07 oz       

I love how many new lip colors I've worn since subscribing to Birchbox, and this lip color is no exception. I would never pick out a purple, but I absolutely love this color. Also, it goes on so smooth and doesn't dry out my lips. Plus, this color is following this month's theme by lightening up and making makeup fun. It has a nice, fresh minty smell to add to the mix. 



$9.00 each - 3.38 oz      

This is not my favorite shampoo by far. I really don't care for the smell and the shampoo barely lathers at all. I had to use a larger gob than normal to cover my entire head, and it still left my head a little greasy. The conditioner did leave my hair soft, but again, the smell isn't my favorite. I'm a little bummed that the shampoo and conditioner took up two of my samples, but at least I know that I don't want the full size item.

                   

Benefit Total Moisture Facial Cream

$42.00 - 1.7 oz               

I use facial cream every day, so this sample is something that I will totally use. It is such a nice formula, but a little heavy for summer, especially if I am going to wear makeup on top. Also, this face cream doesn't have any SPF, so I'd have to add another layer anytime I plan on spending some time outside. I love this sample, but not for August. I'll save these for the dry winter months. 



$36.00 - 1.7 oz         

This BB beauty balm is tinted, which I didn't expect, but it was a great surprise. I love that I can wear this one product instead of having to apply both face lotion and foundation. Plus, this totally balances out my face. This product is the perfect way to lighten up. 


This wasn't my favorite Birchbox, but a few items definitely delivered. Most of the samples were a pretty good size, and I feel like Birchbox knows me better each month. That being said, I will definitely be staying with Birchbox, and I can't wait to see what next month has to offer. 


I estimate this box to be worth $36.70, which is much more than I payed. Birchbox always packs in more value than the cost. If you would like to try Birchbox for yourself, just click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment