Monday, May 11, 2015

Try the World Review - England Box

Once again, my Try the World box has arrived, and I am excited to see what city is in store this time. Try the World is a bimonthly subscription box that travels to a different city each box and is a collection of food items curated from that area. It costs $39 per box, which is a little expensive, but definitely worth it if the products are items you love. I haven't been completely happy with my last few boxes, but I'm willing to give it one more shot. This is it, so we will see how it goes. 


I am happy to discover that this box features England. I lived in London for a summer while going to school, and I loved it so much. London is my favorite place overseas so this box is perfect for me. I remember a lot of the items I ate while I was there, but to be honest, nothing was too excited. England isn't really known for their food. I hope that the items inside this box will both bring back great memories and also help me discover fun foods that I didn't get the chance to try a few years back. 


Duerr's Mint Sauce

$4.99 - 9.9 oz

The first item I pulled for my England box was this mint sauce. This item is really great to me, because it is totally English, yet I have never tried it before. The product card says to use it as a rub on lamb, but I could see this working great with a pork roast also. A very English recipe is to add this mint sauce to mushy peas to make a dipping sauce for fries, or as they call them, chips. I tried this with a pork, and it definitely gave it a great and interesting taste. I am happy with this item, and it is something that I can use for a while with a lot of different dishes. This product hit England on the nail. 


Grant's Lemon Curd

$5.99 - 12 oz

Yummy! I love lemon curd. My grandmother is always making scones, and lemon curd makes the best spread for the dry, yet sweet biscuit. I am going to make it extra English, and eat it while drinking tea. They recommend using it pies or pastries for a fresh flavor. I probably won't cook with this, because it is just too delicious to eat alone. I want to cherish it. Once they is gone, which will take a while, I am going to have to find this or something similar in stores. Maybe I will try to make it myself homemade. 


Walkers Shortbread Fingers

$1.70 - 6 crackers / 3.5 oz       

I've received this item before in my Love with Food subscription box, and while I am a little bummed that this is an item I have already sampled, I really enjoyed it, so I am excited to have more to eat. These shortbread cookies are super soft and crumbly, and they are the perfect amount of sweet. As soon as I opened my box, I opened these up and gobbled them up. This box is a little on the pricier side, and so I was disappointed to see a sample. They are also pretty cheap to begin with. I love the sample and how much they remind me of England, but the value isn't really there. If I see these in stores anywhere, I am going to have to grab them.


Tunnock's Caramel Wafer Biscuits

$2.59 - 4 bars 1.05 oz each            

This is a new snack for me. I don't remember seeing these caramel wafer bars anywhere, but I could also not have been looking too hard. I looked at their information card, and it says these are a nostalgic taste of Scotland. That is a little weird, because even though Scotland is just north of the country, it is not a part of England. I would much rather see this item in my Scotland box. This candy bar was really yummy, but it had a weird texture. I would definitely eat it again if I had the opportunity, though. Overall, I am happy with this item, but I just wish I received an item from England in it's place. Plus, this product doesn't have much value for such an expensive box. 



Colman's Mustard

$2.59 - 3.53 oz

Now this item is British! I love mustard, especially those on the higher end with a lot of taste. I like mustard for dipping pretzels as a snack or over a loin roast. I am so happy this is now a part of my kitchen, because it is rich in spice and sharp in taste. Plus, I am more excited to include mustard in recipes now that I have one I really enjoy. This is way better than the stuff you get in grocery stores around here. This item doesn't really have much value, but at least this is an item that I can have around for a while. 


Builder's Teabags

$5.99 - 40 tea bags

And of course, tea! What other item would be the perfect addition to an England box. I am on the fence with this product. It is quite large, which means it will last me forever, but it took up so much room in the box that the rest of the items were quite small. Also, this tea very British with its blue collar history, but that makes it really cheap, and I would prefer something a little more expensive and gourmet. I don't really want something that resembles the generic here in the states. I drank this tea the English way with milk and some sugar, and I though it was very delicious. At least with this large box, I will have tea to drink with all the creations I make in the kitchen with the other items. 


I am really happy with this box, yet on the other end, I am really disappointed. I loved this England theme and all the items that were curated for this month's box. I will use all these items, and I can see some fun tea time ahead. On the other hand, I paid $39 for this box, and I estimate this box to be worth only $20.78. That is half I paid. I could have purchased each item on my own and saved myself $20. Also, this box used to come with culture items along with all the food. Without these items, I really enjoy the box less. I think after this box I am going to cancel my subscription. I am not happy with the value of each box, and would rather do a cheaper version that would cost me a fourth while still getting to travel to a different part of the world every month. 


While I have not been happy with the Try the World subscription, this might be the perfect subscription for yourself or to gift to a friend. If you would like to try Try the World for yourself, just click here

No comments:

Post a Comment