Monday, May 11, 2015

Try the World Review - Italy Box

My Try the World box has arrived and I have no idea what city I am traveling to with this box. Try the World was originally my favorite box, but the lack of worth, the higher cost, and the generic products have quickly changed my mind. I am not ready to give up on this box, because I still love the mystery of each city, I love getting a glimpse into another part of the world, and I just love subscription boxes of any shape and size. Try the World costs $39 per box, and you get a new one delivered to your door every other month. 


After opening the box, I discovered that this month is Italy. Normally it is a city, but for some reason, this month it is an entire country. I guess that food is normally nationwide, especially for smaller European countries, so this works. My sister just visited Italy, so I am excited to share this box with her, and the items inside. Maybe she will have more insight on how to use the products, and which ones she actually ate there.  


Marinella Spaghetti Mix 

This is the item that I was most excited about in the entire Italy box. I could not find this item anywhere online, so I can't link it or give you a price value. This packet is a dinner within itself, practically. You just throw this packet in a frying pan with olive oil over low heat. In the meantime, boil some spaghetti. After the herbs have come back to life, throw them over the noodles, and eat it all up. I though this was going to be yummy and fresh, but I didn't really care for the flavor. It was a little strong and had a weird taste. I am glad that I tried this out, and it was fun to explore a different culture. I might pick a different pack up when I travel to Italy, but I won't try to buy this locally. 


Scalia Anchovy Fillets

$4.25 - 2.8 oz

I am not too sure about these anchovies. I have never eaten them in the past, nor do I care to try them anytime soon. Anchovies are a staple of food in Italy and are full of antioxidants and protein. That being said, I really don't think that will help me eat these. For those of you who are interested in this item, they suggest to try these on toast with some olive oil or throw them in some pasta with sauce. I will be giving this jar to my father, who has always liked them and hopes that he will enjoy the cuisine from Italy. I just cannot get myself to try these out for myself. 



Colavita Artichoke Pate 

$4.99 - 4.76 oz

This is an item that I am both excited about and have never tried before. This pate spread is perfect for eating on toasted bread or adding to a meat dressing. I had to stir this pretty well before using this, because the olive oil separated. I spread it on some bruschetta toast that was made with some garlic and butter, and ate it alongside some pasta. This spread was super yummy. I am a big fan of artichokes and this pate brought out all the natural tastes and made it into a creamy spread. I am going to eat up this entire jar and then try to find it or something like it in my local store. I am extremely happy with this item. 


Baresi Capers in Salt

$1.99 - 2 oz

Yummy! I love capers so much, and something make food that will go will capers just because I crave them. I love throwing capers on chicken with a lemon dressing or throwing them into a light pasta. The capers resting in salt made them taste a little different then I am used to, but I am happy with the change. Capers are grown in Italy, which I didn't know until now, and are aged for a few months before they are sold on shelves. I am not to happy with this item being in my Italy box, because this is an item I can find in my local grocery store. But, on the other hand, I am really happy that this is something I will definitely use. I will try to use this with some of the other items I received in my box to make it into an Italian feast. 


Leone Candy Originals in Orange

$1.82 - 1 oz

These were a fun little box of orange candies that appeared to be mints that also brought me straight to Italy. This small box is perfect for sticking in your purse for an after meal treat or leaving in your car. These candies taste just like oranges and are really light in taste. I could also see people using these as a breath freshener, as they left my mouth full of a fresh citrus breath and taste. I am a fan of these little candies and wish they were easily accessible. I'll just have to pick up a few boxes the next time I travel to Italy. 


MOGI Blue Coffee

$8.58 - 250 g

I am a big coffee drinker, so this is something that I will definitely use, but it isn't too exciting, because I drink it all the time. I understand they drink coffee in Italy, but we drink it here too, so this item isn't too exciting. On the other hand, their coffee could be a lot better than our Folders, and this looks like a nice brand. I drip brewed these grinds and I really like the taste. It's a little less bitter and sweeter than what I normally drink. Plus, this is a large container, so this will last me a long while. I am excited to drink this instead of my regular coffee for a while. 


Lazzaroni Amaretti Di Saronno Cookies

$9.29 - 200 g          

I wan't sure what I was eating when I first chomped into these crunchy balls, but after researching these, I found out that they are amaretto cookies. These were both crunchy and crumbly. Actually, two of the cookies were in pieces by the time they made it to me. At first, these were super sweet, but had a burnt aftertaste. I am a fan of the amaretto taste, but with the texture, these aren't really the best for me. I will keep these in the kitchen cabinet and maybe someone else will enjoy them. 


Overall, I am not too excited about this box. There was one item that I was really excited about, and I ended up not liking it too much. I estimate this box to be worth about $25. I paid $45 for this box, which comes nicely packed and ships for free with information cards, but I still can't find the value. My last box came with some usable items along with the food that spoke to the culture. I wish that each box forward did that same thing to make up for the lack of value. Plus, it is nice to hold onto something as a keepsake instead of eating it and throwing the packages away. I am going to try out Try The World for one more shipment and make my decision then, but I am getting a lot more items that I can find here in the US, then really experiencing a new culture and their food.  


If you would like to try Try The World for yourself, just click here. They've reduced their price to $39 to make it a little more affordable, and you will receive a box every other month. 

No comments:

Post a Comment