Saturday, May 14, 2016

Birchbox May 2016 Review - Out of Doors

Yea! Once again, my Birchbox has arrived, but this time it is for the month of May. This month doesn't have much going for it, except the spark of summer, so I am excited to receive my subscription boxes even more. Birchbox is a monthly subscription box that offers at least five samples and sometimes full size beauty products curated to your profile for only $10 a box. Also, they have specially crafted boxes to the theme, so it is always fun to see what's inside. 


This month, Birchbox teamed up with Keds to create this super colorful box. I really like these pastel colors and how well it goes with spring, but otherwise, this isn't really my style. When I really enjoy the pattern on the box, I like to put them on display, but otherwise I will use them to organize my beauty products, especially since I have so many samples. This one in particular won't be put on display, but it will be helpful to organize my products. 


This month's theme is Out of Doors. Every single subscriber is going to receive a SPF sample this month that will get everyone prepped for the outdoors. The rest of the samples this month will get you and your body ready for the warmer weather and baring more skin. I do live in a warmer area, but I have yet to bare my legs this year, so I am excited for some products that will get me prepped for the next few months. Also, I don't love SPF samples, but I know I should wear it more often, and it is a necessity, so it will be a product that I will use. I can't wait to see what is in store. 



Real Chemistry Luminous 3-Minute Peel for Body

$34.00 - 5.4 fl oz    ($3.15 Value)

This was my sample choice for the month, and it is something that I am really excited to try out. I have the face peel already, and it leaves my face bright and luminous, just as it claims, so I know this body peel will do wonders. You can literally use this anywhere on your body, and it produces different results. You can use it on your collar and shoulders to get your skin ready for summer, on your bikini zone to help reduce red bumps, or on your feet to soften. I think this is the perfect product to get your body ready for summer, and I can't wait to try it out. 



amika Perk Up Dry Shampoo

$24.00 - 5.3 oz    ($3.40 Value)

People love this dry shampoo, and I've always wanted to give it a try. I am pretty disappointed about the size alone. I go through a bottle of dry shampoo in less than a month, so this sample will probably get me about three uses. On the plus side, this smells amazing. It's a mixture of berry and clean linen, which is the perfect scent when trying to freshen up your hair. I thought that it worked pretty well. It isn't as powdery as some, which helps soak up the oil, but at least it doesn't leave your hair white. I liked this sample, but it was too small, and it is a little too expensive for something I don't love. I am happy I finally was able to try it out, though. 



Coola SPF 50 Sport in Mango

$32.00 - 5 oz    ($2.18 Value)

I don't love receiving sunscreen samples in my subscription boxes, since they aren't that exciting, but they are always nice to have, because I will eventually use them, so it is always a mixed feeling. This is their new mango scent, and I really hate smelling like sunscreen, so this might be a perfect product for me. It does have a touch of sunscreen scent, but it's not as harsh as most and the mango is pretty soft overall. This blends in almost immediately, but it does give my skin a little bit of a shimmer, which I don't love. Also, this packaging makes it appear like there is a lot of product inside, but it is actually barely filled. That is a little bit of a bummer. I like this sample, but it isn't my absolute favorite. Again, just an alright product that I won't end up purchasing. 



ModelCo Lip Lacquer in 

$24.00 - 3 ml    ($12.00 Value)

I am a huge fan of ModelCo, but I prefer tinted moisturizer over creamy lip color. I have four of their lipsticks, and they are my favorite matte lip product I own. This product has a little bit of shimmer, but I really enjoy it, especially for a liquid product. Also, this color is perfect. It is a great feminine pink, but is still super modern. I love that it is a pretty classic shade too. I could see myself wearing this all summer long, especially with those summer whites. There are little specks of gold in this shade that also make it glamorous and fresh. I am in love with this color, and I can't wait to wear it all spring/summer long. 



Kalos Skincare Triple Threat Detox Masque

$39.00 - 60 ml    ($9.75 Value)

I absolutely love face masks. I like to do them a few times a week, and I love seeing how they give my face a clean, luminous, and moisturizing glow. This mask is a triple threat and cleanses, nourishes, and exfoliates which leaves your skin dewey and fresh. It also moisturizes, so this helps with more than just three things. This product smells super natural, and it actually reminds me of a mask I received from another subscription. As soon as I applied this product to my clean face, I could feel it working. Also, I noticed a brighter completion after taking if off. I really enjoy this face mask, and it is possibly my favorite product in the box. It will last me a while too, since the size is pretty large. 



Overall, I am happy but not overjoyed with this month's box. I absolutely love the liquid lipstick, but it does dry out my lips. The face mask and body peel are both nice too, and I will get great use out of these. The dry shampoo was nice to try, but I like other products more, and the price is way too steep. Also, even though I will use the SPF, this isn't as wonderful as was promised. This month's box has a value of $30.48. That is pretty normal for Birchbox, and I'm happy with that amount. Even though the box doesn't have an astronomical value, I will use everything, so it is well worth the $10 I spent. Even though this wasn't a great month, I will keep my subscription going, especially since they always get better. 


If you would like to try Birchbox for yourself, just click here. It is a great gift for yourself, or anyone in your friend or family group that loves beauty products. 

No comments:

Post a Comment