Saturday, June 17, 2017

Sephora Play! May 2017 Review - The Rising Stars

Yea! My Sephora Play! has arrived for the month of May, and since this is easily rising to the top of my favorite subscription box list, I can’t wait to dig inside. Sephora Play! is a monthly subscription box that delivers six beauty samples to your door in a cute bag for only $10. The products range from hair, nails, skincare, makeup, and there is always a perfume to top it off. While this is quite an affordable box, the samples are usually quite large, so you will get a good use of the product, and the value is usually great as well. I’m talking around $50. I’ve found some great products in this box in the past, and I hope there are more for me to discover inside.


This month’s theme is “The Rising Stars.” These are all the products you are going to hear your favorite YouTubers and bloggers raving about all summer long. Either it be a new formula, or a product you didn’t know you needed until now, this month will deliver the next wave of incredible products. I love this theme, because I always want to try out the newest and the best. Also, I remember a time without dry shampoo, and now I don’t know how I could go without. This bag is really cute too. Usually they are cloth, drawstring bags, but this month is a clear, plastic clutch with snap enclosure. This will be super handy to keep smaller samples away from the rest in my carryon, or to hold onto jewelry or phones at the beach.



Sunday Riley Ceramic Slip Clay Cleanser

$45.00 - 4.2 oz    ($10.71 Value)

I have been patiently waiting for a Sunday Riley sample in one of my subscription boxes, and the day has finally arrived. While it isn’t the popular Good Genes, I am a fan and frequent user of clay cleansers, and this sample is quite large, especially for an expensive product. The formula promise to balance tone, deep clean skin, and tighten pores, all while tackling oiliness and acne. These are all concerns I have with my face, so this sounds like the miracle cleanser. I have seen some negative reviews, but I am really impressed with how well this works. My skin looks more beautiful with every use, and my acne has decreased. I don’t know if I would purchase this product, but I will use this sample to the last drop.




treStiQue Highlight Stick

$34.00 - 0.21 oz    ($8.50 Value)

I have received quite a few treStiQue products in my subscription boxes lately, and while they are all a single color product, I am happy to stock pile them up. This highlight stick is a soft pinkish champagne, which compliments my skin really well. It contains pearl pigments that give your skin a soft iridescent glow. Plus, since it doesn’t shimmer like most highlighters, you can use it everywhere. I usually don’t care for cream products, because I am not the best with blending, but this one was easily blendable, yet still stayed put after it dried. This sample is quite large again, so I know it will last me forever. The packaging is amazing as always too.




Christophe Robin Cleansing Purifying Scrub with Sea Salt

$53.00 - 8.33 oz    ($8.59 Value)

I wasn’t sure what this product was at first, since I read cleansing scrub and instantly assumed it was for my face or body, but as soon as I saw it was for my hair I was confused. I’ve never seen a scrub for your head before, and wasn’t sure how well this would work, but I am pleasantly surprised. This scrub turns into a foaming cleanser as you rub it into your scalp and along your hair. It works to sooth your scalp from itchiness and redness, removes product buildup, and detoxifies. I am guessing it scrubs away dead skin (dandruff) as well. This left my hair feeling refreshed and back to its old self. I love this shampoo, and since I would have never thought to use a product like this, I am glad it has found its way into this month’s box.



Nudestix Magnetic Matte Lip Color in Greystone

$24.00 - 0.1 oz    ($21.12 Value)

I already do like the Nudestix brand, so I am pretty excited to try out a different product from their line. This, unfortunately, may not be for me though. While it is a lipstick that can be used as a lip stain or lip liner as well, the color just isn’t for me. It is a nude shade, which I like, but it is just a little too dark. I have such light skin that anything a touch dark makes me feel a little goth. On the other hand, I really like this formula. The product is long lasting, and so you won’t have to reapply every few hours. It also doesn’t dry out your lips. I also appreciate the smooth coverage. It doesn’t highlight my lips flaws, but instead covers them like a lip primer. I wish they would’ve sent us a different color, but I am otherwise happy with this product.




Grande Cosmetics Lips Hydrating Lip Plumper in Clear

$27.00 - 0.05 oz    ($6.75 Value)

I’ve tried lip plumpers in the past, and they usually sting or numb the lips, and I’m not really a fan. I didn’t expect this to be any different, but I am actually impressed with the overall product. This formula does tingle after applying, but not for long, and the benefits last. It adds volume to your lips, a pop of natural color, and hydration. It also softens and firm as well. I rather like my lips, so I don’t really seek out plumping products anymore, so I don’t know how much I will reach for this, but it will be nice for times I’d like to wear a bold lip color. This would work on its own as well as a moisturizer and lip tint. This sample is quite large too, so it will last me a while.



Maison Marginal Replica Beach Walk

$126.00 - 3.4 oz    ($1.48 Value)

I am someone who wears perfume depending on the weather, my mood, or the event, so I really appreciate when they send scents that lineup with the season. This perfume could not be any more perfect. If you ever wanted to wear summer, this is the product for you. With top notes of bergamot, coconut milk, lemon, pink pepper, and musk. Seriously, this smells like sunscreen, sea salt, and ocean breeze all in one. I don’t know if I would wear this to the beach, as I would rather gather these smells organically while there, but this would be the ideal scent for relaxing by the pool, or even to boost your mood on a rainy day or locked inside your office. This is such a fun perfume, and I can’t wait to smell it while not at the beach.




Overall, I am pretty happy with this month’s box. I am really happy with the facial cleaner, and I am excited about receiving my first Sunday Riley product. Also, the hair scrub is so unique and works wonders. I’ve been using it every few days already to remove gunk from my hair. I really like the perfume, since it smells like summer, and it was a perfect fit for this box. The highlighter and lip plumper were nice as well, but I don’t know how much I will use them. The lipstick isn’t my favorite, but I would love to try out this product in a different color. This month’s box has a value of $57.15. That is pretty crazy for a subscription that only costs $10. You really get your value’s worth. 


If you would like to try Sephora Play! for yourself, just click here. It is a great way to tryout great products at a great price. 

No comments:

Post a Comment