Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Birchbox August 2015 Review - Soak It Up

Yea! I was so happy to see my Birchbox at my doorstep when I got home today. Birchbox is a $10 beauty sample subscription box that is delivered to your mailbox once a month. Their products are always great quality, and while they tend to be higher end, you will still find affordable pieces. I have found a lot of items that are now staples in my beauty routine, which is why I love this box so much. 



At first, I didn't really care for this month's box design. They usually have really cute graphic boxes, and they are always something I want to display around the house. Now that I look at it more, it is really cute and unique. I love the 4ft and 8ft signs on the side, and on another end it says, "Dive In!" This is perfect for summer, and it goes perfectly with this month's theme. I won't be putting this up in my house anywhere, but maybe it can hold all my sunscreen under the sink. 



This month's theme is Soak It Up. This is the last month of true summer, and we should all soak it up while it is here. I love this theme, and while the box isn't one of the cutest I've ever seen, it goes along with the theme really well. I am really excited to see what Birchbox has in store for me this month, and I would love samples that help me soak up as much summer as I can. 


theBalm cosmetics Desert Bronzer/Blush

$21.00 - 0.225 oz               

Yea! I love theBalm products, and their packaging is seriously so cute! I have been wearing bronzer more and more as of late, and like to switch over to blush during the cooler months. This shade is a bronze pigment with a little bit of pink, so it is basically the best transition between summer and fall, and perfect to wear all August and September. Wearing this bronzer is also the best way to soak up what little summer we have left. 



IPKN Pore Apple Sun Cream 

$28.00 - 2.47 oz                 
  Birchbox tends to send me a lot of sunscreen, and I am more than happy, because I would never spend money on a higher end SPF that improves my complexion and is safe to use on my face. This smells really great, and it is a medium, light lotion, so it soothes skin, but it is light enough for summer. While I always remember to wear SPF on my face when I am going to be outside for the day, I tend to forget day to day wear. This is the perfect SPF to put on your face everyday as a lotion under your makeup. That way you will stay safe from the sun every single day of the year, even if it is while driving in your car. I like this particular product for August, because the sun can still be really damaging, and this can be worn everyday instead of your typical face moisturizer. 



Kerastase Bain Force Architecte Reconstructing Shampoo

$40.00 - 8.5 fl oz                

Summer does quite a bit of damage to your hair with the sun, bleach from all the swimming pools, and the salt from the ocean. This reconstructing shampoo restores hair to it's normal healthy self. This shampoo smells great, a light natural floral, and I really like the light lather. I didn't notice any difference in my hair in reconstructing damage, but it did feel soft and full of body. I don't really like getting foil packets in my boxes, but I am alright with this one since I already received five other samples, and I look at this as an extra. It is also listed as a bonus on the itemized card. 



dr. brandt pores no more cleanser

$35.00 - 3.5 fl oz              

This is the best skin care brand in my opinion, and because these products are always really expensive, I absolutely love getting samples in my subscription boxes. I've received some of the pores no more products, and they really make your pores disappear. I am a little spectacle how a face wash will work, though. Not only does this leave my face feeling really clean, it does made my pores practically disappear. It is like this face wash soaked them up. This doesn't really go along with the theme all that well, but all the products can't always. Plus, I am more than happy to have received this product. 



R+Co DEATH VALLEY Dry Shampoo
  $29.00 - 6.3 oz               

This was the sample I picked out from the choose your sample for this month, and while I wasn't completely sure I made the right decision, I know now that I did. Dry shampoos are the best beauty invention of the last decade. You are told not to wash your hair often, but mine is greasy in less than 24 hours. Unfortunately, I didn't love this product. I felt like it didn't soak up the grease as good as others. Also, it doesn't smell the best. It kinda reminds me of bug spray, which is not a smell I want to be walking around with. I am a little bummed that picked out this sample, but at least I didn't purchase the full size bottle based on all the positive reviews. 


COOLA Environmental Repair Plus Radical Recovery After-Sun Lotion

$32.00 - 6 oz                

I honestly wish I received this earlier in the summer, because I did get some burns early on from not applying, but I am happy to have a product like this now. I have yet to sample it out, because I don't want to purposely get a burn or sun damage to see how well it works, but so far i really like it. I do hate the stickiness of aloe vera, so this soft lotion is a treat, and it smells great. This does go well with the theme, and I do plan on getting out in the sun a few more times before the leaves change. I hope I won't burn, but chances are I will get some slight sun damage. And, when that happens, I will be happy I have a product like this. Plus, the COOLA brand is one of my favorites. Their products are always of great quality. 



Overall, I am really happy with this month's Birchbox. I did only receive one beauty item, but I know I will go through all the hair and body products that were included in this month's box, so it was not a waste at all. I estimate this box to be worth $19.47. That is definitely on the lower end, but I guess it is still more than the $10 I spent, and I will still receive $6 to spend in their shop after reviewing their products. I am not too worried about the low value, because I like every single product, and will definitely use them up. 



If you would like to try Birchbox for yourself, just click here. For only $10 a month, you could be on your way to discovering new beauty products curated just for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment