Sunday, April 12, 2015

Birchbox April 2015 Review - Fresh for Spring -

Yea! My Birchbox for April has arrived and pretty early in the month. I already know the theme and my sample choice for the month, but I kept everything else a secret. It is more fun that way, right!? I get more excited about each Birchbox as they get closer to summer, because with each spring, their products become more colorful and lighter. All the things to help get excited about the warmer months. 


Birchbox teamed up with Rifle Paper Co this month. Rifle Paper is a stationary company that creates beautiful designs. Besides their springy patterns and for purpose of decorating the box, I don't completely understand this collaboration. I do think the box is super cute, though, and I will definitely keep it out on a shelf for storage. 


The theme for the month of April is Fresh for Spring. What else could it be?! Ha ha. At least it fits. I personally am all about the theme for April, because living in a cold state, I am ready to take off some layers and lighten up. I hope these products will help me freshen up and get my winter skin ready for spring. 


POP Beauty Eyeshadow Trio in Peach Parfait

$26.00 - 36 color palette       

This was my sample choice for the month, and the main reason I didn't go with the Mad Men curated box. I am hoping that this box is still worth it. I've received POP Beauty products before, and I've always liked their brand. My eyeshadow palette is mainly browns and whites, so I thought that it would be great to add a little bit of color. Plus, these three are perfect for spring. These colors went on a little thicker than I normally like, but I just have to learn to use less. I really like the peach color and the white. It has just the right amount of shimmer and color. If I wore eyeshadow everyday, I would probably go with this palette. I love this sample and almost everything about it. I'm glad I chose this as my sample of the month.


Number 4 Volumizing Shampoo

$34.00 - 8.5 oz        

I am a little bummed about this sample. Actually a lot bummed. I got this shampoo in my last month's box without the volumizing formula. I complained to Birchbox, but they said it's a different sample. I liked this shampoo when I first sampled it, but it isn't something that I loved and I wouldn't buy the full size product. I didn't feel like this left my hair any more volumized than the original formula. I do like how it had a light lather and how my hair felt really clean afterwards. Other than that, I am not happy with this sample. It doesn't go with the theme, and I already received it. I am starting to wish I picked the Mad Men box. 


Whish Shave Crave Shaving Cream in Blueberry

$20.00 - 150 ml      

This sample was in the Mad Men box, and one of the main reasons I decided to go without it. But what do you know, I received it in my April box anyways. The problem with this is that I've already received a Whish shave cream in a previous box in a different scent. When I first tried it, I was mostly happy with it, but didn't love the sugary scent. Again, I am super bummed that I received a duplicate sample which Birchbox also said was different because of the scent. I will definitely use this eventually, but I won't purchase the full size item. This does work with the spring theme, though. It is a perfect help to move from pants to baring those legs and making things fresh. 


Beauty Protector Protect & Oil

$25.95 - 4 oz            

I've received this brand before in previous boxes, and while everyone is in love with this brand, I wasn't wowed. On the other hand, I do like this sample. Oils are something I never though my hair would need, but they leave my hair nice and silky with a touch of sheen. With just a small dab, I smoothed this over the length of my hair, and it left my hair really pretty. I can't use a lot because my hair is so thin, but this works as an advantage. I also am happy with the ingredients and how it will protect my hair from the enviornment. The only thing I didn't care for was the coconut smell, but mainly because I don't care for coconut. I like that this fits in with the theme, and I will definitely be using it to protect my hair from that new, brighter sun. 


Real Chemistry Luminous 3-Minute Peel

$48.00 - 1.7 fl oz      

I am not sure how this peel works, because it is chemical free, but it quickly removed all of my dead skin. By rubbing this gel into my forehead, cheeks, and neck, it rubbed off all my dead skin leaving my face bright and replenished. This is also great for spring and fit in well with the theme of freshening up. I thought at first that this was a generous sample, but you have to use quite a bit to cover all those areas. I will still get a few uses out of it, which is fine because you don't have to use this that often. I am happy with this sample, but I probably won't purchase the full size item.  


I am a little bummed about this box. While I really liked three of the samples, two of them were items I've received in previous boxes. If only I could pick and chose my samples, because there are quite a few products I've been dying to try from their store. I will reuse those samples, though, so it's not a complete bust. If Birchbox keeps this up, I might have to consider canceling my subscription. It just isn't fun receiving the same items.


I estimate this box to be worth $22.93. That is good if you consider that I only paid $10, $4 of which I can use in the store after reviewing. This isn't good if you consider the value in the past. I've had boxes worth almost $40 in previous months. I think they are getting a little stingy on their sample giving.


If you would like to try Birchbox for yourself, just click here. This box isn't my favorite, but I've been mostly happy with this box in the past, and it is the one I look most forward to each month. Definitely worth the $10 a month for the surprise and for descovering new brands. 

No comments:

Post a Comment