Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Birchbox July 2015 Review - Be Bold

Yea! Another Birchbox has arrived. I have been subscribed to Birchbox for about a year and a half now, and I have to say, I look forward to this box the most out of all the subscription boxes I receive. I have found quite a few items that I can no longer live without, and their reward program is by far the best. Birchbox is a beauty sample subscription box that sometimes includes full size items that is delivered right to your door for only $10 a month. 


Lately, each Birchbox box has been styled with a new, fun design. That makes each box extra special and really fun to collect. This box is my favorite yet. I love the graphic, bold design in the super bright colors. This is so on trend, and it reminds me of summer and the bright colors that always come out around this time. I am going to be placing this on my desk for storage and inspiration. 


This month's theme is "go bold." I think this is a great theme for summer, and the products inside can definitely go along with this theme easily. The box's design surely did. Summer is a time that people tend to go the most bold, and I think that I will have to be one of them. I can't wait to see the products inside that go along with this theme. 



$24.00 - 0.04 oz              

I am in love with the Benefit brand, so I was really excited to see one of their products in my box. Unfortunately, I didn't really care for this eyeliner. Besides the fact that this eyeliner is bold and goes along with the theme, I am not happy with the product. In order to use the product, you have to squeeze up the eyeliner, which hasn't ended well for me yet. I tend to squeeze up too much, which is a waste for such a small sample. The applicator wasn't as easy to use as it seems either. The line I created was way to high above my lid. When trying to wash it off, it just wouldn't budge. I guess that says a lot about it's staying power, though. This is definitely a way to be bold, but this eyeliner is just not for me. 


Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick in Venezia

$22.00 - 0.1 oz                 

Instead of choosing a sample, each Birchbox subscriber instead chose a shade from three of this Stila liquid lipstick. That stinks for anyone that doesn't care too much for bold lipstick, but personally I was happy to receive this item. Normally, I wouldn't pick out such a bold shade, but I really like it on my peachy skin. This formula really does stay all day, and it leaves lips really smooth. I will say, my lips were a little parched, so I did have to use moisturizer before hand in order to leave a smooth, texture free application. This color is also very bold, so it goes quite well with this month's theme. One thing though, you have to be very precise when putting this lipstick on, because once it is on, it will stay put. I am very happy with this product, and will be keeping it in my purse all summer long. 



$24.00 - 150 ml               

Ugh! This is the third Whish item I've received in my Birchbox over my subscription period, and it is the third time I really didn't like the brand or the product. In the past, I received two shaving creams in two different scents. While I did like the shaving cream alright, I really didn't care for the scents. They both smelled a little too sugary, sweet, and a little cheap. This lotion was no different. I really didn't like smothering this scent over my entire body, and the scent did last for a while. On the other hand, I didn't mind the body butter formula. It is a light moisturizer perfect for summer. This product is a great way to go bold by scent, but it just isn't the right scent for me. 



$15.00 - 3.7 oz          

Yeah! I think my all time favorite beauty item to receive in my subscription boxes are masks. I love treating myself to a mini home spa a couple times a week, and I also love how they leave my face refreshed, toned, and bright. This mask is designed to help with a tired face. It goes on in a thin, brown layer and dries very quickly. After only 10 minutes, I washed it off and could instantly see results. Not only was my face brighter, but it also made the reddish from my adult acne almost disappear. I really like this mask and will have to consider purchasing the full size item when this deluxe sample runs out.



$39.00 - 3.4 oz        

This does appear to be a perfume sample, but it is actually hair oil. I've heard of the Bumble and bumble brand before, but I've never tried their products, so this will be fun to sample. Their pricing is on the higher end, so I would assume that their products are well thought out. My hair doesn't really need oil, because it is so oily to begin with, but this promises to make hair smooth and tame flyaways. I used about a third of the sample and ran it over my hair. It definitely makes my hair smoother and did calm some of my broken hair, but didn't really do much else. I could see this working on someone with thicker hair, or someone who dyes or blowdries their hair regularly. Great product, just not a product that I need. 


Out of the five samples, I can say that I am unfortunately only a fan of two. The hair oil is nice, but something I don't necessarily need. I like that the items did go along with each theme well, though. I estimate this box to be worth $19.35. Because I only spent $10 and it comes with $5 in reward points to use in the shop, I think that is pretty good. My Birchboxes in the past have ranged in worth from $50 to as little as $10, so this one is on the lower end. Overall, I am not unhappy or very happy with this box. I would say I'm middle of the road. I hope next month has more to offer me. 


If you would like to try Birchbox for yourself, just click here. You could be on your way to discovering new beauty items that could become a part of your everyday routine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment