Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Birchbox Man: The Fragrance Flight Review

I decided to purchase the woman's scent sampler for myself and thought I'd treat my boyfriend to a new scent of his own. He hasn't really worn cologne since I've met him five years ago, and his only memory of fragrance can be found at your local drug store. I really want to update his scent, and thought that this would be a cool way for him to test out a few colognes and find what he really likes. 


This scent sampler costs $20, but comes with a $30 gift card that can be used towards a full size fragrance. That means that you are initially getting this sampler for free, but you still get to test out your new favorite scent. I like that all Birchbox boxes come with a descriptive card that describes the scent and their inspirations. This really helps me understand what I am smelling, and it helps my boyfriend know what notes he is really into. 


CoSTUME NATIONAL Eau de Parfum SOUL

$150.00 - 100 ml          

This cologne opens with cardamom, bergamot, leather, and oud wood, and is accompanied by notes of mellon, vanilla bean, grey amber, and patchouli. This is my least favorite cologne of the group. I thought I would really like it because of the patchouli, but that part has actually thrown me off a little. It is just a little spicy, and mixing those scents with all the natural scents makes it a little weird. This is a good cologne for an outdoors man or your lumberjack hipster. My boyfriend is neither, so he's passing on this one. 



Histoires de Parfumes 1899

$125.00 - 60 ml             

This is by far my favorite scent of the flight. The top notes include bergamot, juniper, and black pepper, and smaller notes of orange blossom, iris, cinnamon, vetiver, vanilla, and yellow amber. This is my favorite scent of the five. I like that this is based off the year 1899 and the cologne really reminds me of what I would've smelled around that time. I could really see my grandpa wearing this, but it is definitely young enough to be worn by someone in their 20's. I really hate cinnamon, but it works in with the other notes. This was my boyfriend's top two, and I would really like him to try the other scents from this brand. 


Thirdman Eau Monumentale 

$105.00 - 100 ml                    

This scent begins with a base of bergamot and mimosa with woodsy notes. This was my second favorite cologne of the five. This is a very grown up scent, but loved smelling this on my 27 year old boyfriend. The mimosa note mixed with the typical woodsy and bergamot scents made this fragrance lighter and a little bubblier than your typical cologne. I could see my boyfriend wearing this to any nicer event which includes nights out, dinner dates, or weddings. I hope this in the fragrance that he chooses to purchase, because I think it fits his personality the best. 


Montale Aoud Forest 

$120.00 - 50 ml                

This cologne blends notes of ocean spray, citrus, and ginger with notes of rosemary, oud wood, mellon, white musk, and ambergris. This has to make my top three. I don't like it as much as the last two, because the ocean spray makes it smell a little cheap, but the ginger, mellon, and wood notes bring this one back to life. I do like that the musk makes it really fresh smelling, and makes me consider this a more adventurous cologne. Unfortunately  my boyfriend didn't really care for this one too much. I could really see him wearing this to parties, brunch, or on an adventurous date. 


Etat Libre d'Orange Cologne

$149.00 - 100 ml             

This cologne is full of orange, bergamot, and orange blossom with notes of jasmine, leather, and musk. This is one of those deeper darker scents, and the orange blossom gives it a deep citrus overtone. This one wasn't one of my favorites, but it was definitely not my least favorite. I could see other people really enjoying this cologne, but I don't really care for the scent nor did my boyfriend. He will not be using his gift certificate on the one. 


My top two favorites were the Thurman and the 1899. Those were my boyfriends top two also. I am not sure which one he is going to pick, but I'd be really happy smelling either of them on him. I'll be trying to get much closer to him when he wears them. I estimate this Fragrance Flight to be worth $13.79 which doesn't include the $30 gift card. I am pretty happy with the value of this and it is a fun way to find a new scent at a good price.  


If you would like to try The Fragrance Flight for yourself, just click here. For only $20, you could get $13 worth of cologne samples and a $30 gift card to spend on a full size fragrance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment