Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Birchbox Scent Sampler: Elegant Essentials Review

Every once in a while, Birchbox releases a scent sampler complete with seven fragrance samples to try, love, or hate and includes a $30 gift card to put towards a full size perfume. The last one they came out with, I decided to pass because I had already sampled a few of those perfumes from receiving them in my Birchbox. This one was perfect. While I did already sample one of the seven scents, I really enjoyed it, and wouldn't mind receiving another sample. 


Each sampler comes with a description card that lists out each perfume, their significant notes, and their inspiration. This really helps me pick out notes that I like and others that I like to avoid. I wish they had prices also, but I know that perfumes come in different sizes, so that might be more confusing. I am excited to test these different fragrances and hope that I find a new perfume that I love. 


CLEAN Warm Cotton Eau de Parfum 

$69.00 - 2.14 fl oz   

This powdery fragrance mixes scents of floral, fruit, marine, and a hint of musk. It sounds very pretty, but this cotton scent reminds me of laundry detergent or a candle that I burn regularly. I do like the scent, but not as a perfume. I would not like to wear this on my body ever. This is a weird sample container too. It isn't a roll or a spray, so I'd have to dab this on my wrists and neck. I'm glad that I sampled this, because I know to never purchase the full size bottle. 



Comptoir Sud Pacifique Vanille Abricot 

$29.00 - 30 ml           

This interesting scent includes apricot, papaya, sugar candy, and vanilla. It mixes the sweet softness of vanilla with the hard fruity scent of apricot, so it begins really light and smooth and ends with a deep rich, mature scent. This is a scent that is very original, and while I didn't care for it when I first put it on, it has really grown on me. I like that this bottle comes with a stick for dabbing. This scent is perfect for a late summer date night, a trip to a winery, or a bonfire on the beach. It is the perfect mixture of a mature and young scent. 



Folle de Joie Eau de Parfum

$98.00 - 3.4 fl oz      

This is the one scent that I have sampled before, and I have to say I like it just as much as I did the first time. It has notes of mandarin, rose, and sandalwood. It is inspired by both sunny California and romantic Paris. I like how this is a feminine scent without being too feminine. It is fresh, too! If this had a bit of citrus, it would seriously be the best scent for me. I would wear this anytime I want to feel a little dressed up, yet a little casual. I have a few baby and bridal showers coming up this will be perfect for. I can also say I appreciate the spray bottle. It makes the application so much easier. 



Juliette Has a Gun Anyway

$120 - 100 ml            

I really like this perfume. It smells just as you would think by the design of the packaging. It has equal scents of citrus, woods, and musk. I could see my past punk self loving this. This is definitely a little darker scent and masculine. I love how the citrus mixes with the woods and musk. If this had a smaller bottle, I would be using my gift card on it, but I don't think I'd want a full bottle of this scent, because I wouldn't wear it that often, and I really don't care to pay that price. I am going to use this sample wisely, because I'd like it to last. 



L'Artisan La Chasse Aux Papillons Eau de Toilette 

$100 - 50 ml         

This sample was only half full, which made me laugh, because it is already a super small sample. I don't care too much anyways, because this scent just isn't for me. It isn't as bad as the first cotton perfume, but it just isn't the scent for me. The main two scents in the perfume is white flowers and bright citrus. I can really smell the flower, but the citrus doesn't stand out to my on my skin. If you take a big smell, I get a soapy after scent. It is light, so I could consider wearing this during these bright summer months, but it is just too powdery and flowery for everyday wear. 



Raw Spirit Fragrances Desert Blush Eau de Parfum

$90.00 - 30 ml      

This is another interesting scent for me, and I can say it reminds me a desert. This one contains notes of boronia, land land, and sandalwood. The sandalwood really sticks out to me, but is matched with a sweet floral scent. Everytime I smell this perfume I think of a musky wood stove. If I lived in the west, or preferred to smell more masculine, this would be a great scent, but I am glad I gave it a good effort, because I would normally be drawn to those notes, and I wouldn't want to have wasted money on a full size bottle.  



TOCCA Eau de Parfum in Isabel 

$68.00 - 1.7 fl oz           

This particular scent is middle of the road for me. I've received TOCCA samples before in my Birchbox, but none of their perfumes. I do like the TOCCA brand, and expected to really like this scent. The packaging again gives the perfect suggestion of what this scent is like. It mixes rose, orange, and amber to create a soft and feminine perfume that is bright and elegant. I could see a lot of people really enjoying this scent, and I could wear it now and again, but I don't think I'd every purchase a full size of this. It is really cool to sample, though, and when I wear it I get a ton of compliments from girls who would be more likely to fall in love. 



I really liked this scent sampler, and have found a few fragrances that I love and others that I hate. My top three are the folly de joie, Juliette has a Gun, and comptoir sud pacifique. I don't know which of the three I will spend my $30 towards, but it will definitely be one of the three. I always like to figure out how much the products are worth, and I estimate these fragrance samples to total $14.55. I spent $25 on these samples which includes the $30 gift card, so I would say these are well worth the price. I will probably use all of these scents except one, so they won't be used to just pick out my new perfume. 



If you would like to try this season's scent sampler, just click here. I would get this if I were already planning on purchasing a perfume, because technically it is a $5 discount with perks. I can't wait for Birchbox to release their next scent sampler. 

No comments:

Post a Comment