Saturday, July 30, 2016

Sephora Play! July 2016 Review - Effortless Summer

As you may know, Sephora Play! is a newer subscription box, and also had a waiting list that was pretty long, so it took me this long to finally receive my first box. Sephora Play! is a monthly beauty subscription that delivers at least five samples of the newest and best in beauty for that month all for $10. They usually have a value around $40 or more, so not only do you get to try out the latest in beauty, but you also get your dollar's worth. This is my first box ever, and I've seen what they've offered in the past, so I have high expectations. I can't wait to see what is inside. 


Along with the samples, Sephora offers a Play! Pass. This will get you in store expert advice and a makeover by one of their stylists. Using this will also give you an extra 50 points to use towards rewards. Also, this card folds out to an entire page of the products. They describe each item, give tips, and list ingredients. This is so informative, and really helpful when trying out each product. The icing on the cake, the samples are wrapped up in a super cute fabric, drawstring bag that can be reused for traveling or storage. This one has a fun popsicle, which is so fitting for summer. 



Beautyblender Blotterazzi

$20.00 - 2 pads    ($10.00 Value)

I am already a huge fan of the beauty blender, and oil on my face is a huge concern, especially in the summer heat, so this product could not be more perfect for me at this time. This reusable blotter soaks up oil on your face while keeping your makeup in place, but unlike other paper blotters, this is reusable for up to 6 months. This is a great idea, and I love reusing something over and over, but it is a little annoying to have to wash after a few uses. My rice paper sheets are biodegradable, and I can just throw those away. I like this product, and I will definitely use it, but I don’t know if it is something I necessarily need to purchase again. I will see how much I use it and miss it once it’s gone.




OUAI Haircare Wave Spray

$26.00 - 5 fl oz    ($8.84 Value)

I've heard about this product recently, and I've seen the amazing curls it creates, so I've really wanted to try this out. My hair is normally pin straight, and even salt sprays only create a small amount of curl to my hair. I would normally have to braid and scrunch to create waves, and those fall flat after only a few hours. First of all, this product smells great. It is bright and fresh, and I love spritzing it in my hair to give it a little refresh. Also, this works really well with my hair. I wouldn’t say it gives beautiful, bouncing waves, but it does add some shape and texture. I did have to braid this to create some waves, but they came out more natural and lasted much longer than usual. I really enjoy this spray, and I am happy I have a deluxe sample for plenty of use.



NEST Fragrances Citrine

$68.00 - 1.7 oz    ($1.60 Value)

I absolutely love this perfume. I am a big citrus lover, and anything fresh and bright is perfect for my day scent. I’ve been looking for a new scent too, so I may have just found exactly what I’ve been looking for. This perfume has notes of lotus flower, freesia, sparkling citrus, and deep woods. I love the masculine scent against the feminine notes, and they really balance well with the light and refreshing citrus. I think this is the perfect scent for summer, and I will be wearing it until the sample is gone. I love trying out these tiny samples, because they really give you a good opportunity to test out new perfumes over a day instead of a bunch at once. I am glad I was able to try this one out at all.



First Aid Beauty Skin Rescue Deep Cleanser with Red Clay

$24.00 - 4.7 oz    ($5.11 Value)

I have always enjoyed clay facial cleansers, because I feel like they have a deeper clean than your normal face wash. This product promises to detox and clean pores all while cleaning your face from makeup, dirt, and grime from the day. Also, it is a solution for oily skin and acne, which are my two biggest concerns. Like I imagined, this did leave my face feeling cleaner than normal, but I am impressed on how much less oily my face was the entire day after using this. It does dry out your face just a tad, so I do suggest applying face cream after using this product, but not too much that it is uncomfortable. This is my first product from First Aid Beauty, and I really like what I see. I am definitely willing to purchase this product again or try out other products from their line. Plus, this product is completely practical.



Smashbox Photo Finish Oil Free Foundation Primer Pore Minimizing

$39.00 - 1 oz    ($9.75 Value)

I've recently had an issue with my foundation not setting on my face, and instead just layering on top. This foundation primer is really going to change things. This cooling thick cream goes smoothly over my face and noticeably fills in my pores and most of my other bumps. It also helped shield some of my wrinkles, which was pretty amazing. I was also really impressed how well my foundation and powder set on top of this primer and how long it lasted too. I really like this product, and I will use every last drop. But, I do think this is a little pricey, and too expensive to repurchase. 



Too Faced Soleil Matte Bronzer in Chocolate

$30.00 - 0.35 oz    ($6.86 Value)

Man, I was really excited to see this sample in this month's box, then I was super bummed to see that this is for medium to deep skin. I have light skin that barely tans, so anything too dark on my face looks fake and heavy. The last thing I want to wear in the summer is any makeup that looks heavy and unnatural. I do think the color is nice, though, and the pigmentation is also great. This is a great sample, but they really got my skin wrong. I will end up passing this along to a friend or anyone with a darker complexion, since this won't work for me. What a bummer. 



I've been reading reviews of past boxes, and they've always looked great, so I had high expectations for my first box. Overall, I am pretty impressed. Not only is every item high end and a notable brand, but these are all products that I'll use. That face wash, curl spray, perfume, and primer are all winners in my book. They will easily become fan favorites of mine. I really like that blotter and I will definitely use, but I prefer my blotting rice papers that I can just throw away. I was really excited about that bronzer, but unfortunately it is the wrong color. Along with all the positives, this box has a value of $42.16. That is absolutely crazy for a box that only costs $10. I am really happy with this box, and it is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. Now that I'm off the waitlist, I can't wait to see what they have to offer month after month.


If you would like to try Sephora Play! for yourself, just click here. It is a great way to try out brands and collect points for even more rewards. 

No comments:

Post a Comment