Sunday, September 25, 2016

Birchbox September 2016 Review - Go Forth and Multitask

Yeah! My Birchbox has arrived for the month of September, and I am so excited to see what is in store for me this month. Birchbox is a monthly subscription box that delivers at least five beauty samples (and sometimes full size products) to your door for only $10 a month. The items are curated to your profile and follow the monthly theme, so not only are you going to receive products that fit your routine, but you’ll also get a large variety of products. This is one of my favorite subscription boxes. The value isn’t outrageous, nor is it stocked full of trendy products, but I feel like they know me better than any other subscription, and they always deliver products that I love and have become staples in my beauty routine. Fall boxes are always the best, so I have high hopes for this box.


This month’s theme is Go Forth and Multitask. The theme is all about time saving products that will help us tackle our to-do list. I am all about that, because I feel like my beauty routine takes up too much time in my very busy day. This is a special month for Birchbox, as it first launched in September years ago, so they always turn it into a celebration. That describes this box. It is covered in what appears to be confetti, while the base counters the color with black hashtags and graffiti. I like this box, because it is so joyous, but it doesn’t go with my style, so I will be using this for storage. I would usually talk about points now, but Birchbox just took away their reward point system. That is a bummer, because they were easy to save, and I loved rewarding myself with full size products.



Beauty Protector Protect & Blonde Toning Shampoo

$23.00 - 8 oz    ($2.88 Value)

I do have strawberry blond hair, and sometimes the red is just too harsh on my complexion. Also, the chemical compounds in my water can really make it look brassy. This purple toning shampoo will solve both of these issues in one simple wash. I’ve tried toning shampoos before, and while they work, I hate using them that often. The particular brand I’ve purchased in the past didn’t have the best smell (and I had to smell it all day), and it really dried out my hair. This shampoo does the trick without the dryness and also has a wonderful, tropical scent. I really like this shampoo, but it is a little pricey. I would probably purchase this and use it once a week. Too bad I don’t have points that I can use.




$32.50 - 2 oz    ($8.13 Value)

I have so many products from this brand, and I have to say, I really love them all. This brand is known for being natural and organic, so I feel good about rubbing them on my skin. Also, they work really well. Especially their scrubs, my skin feel amazing and refreshed afterwards. This microdermabrasion scrub isn’t any different. My skin was feeling a little rough and dull, but this scrub gave it back a silky smooth texture and a new glow. Even though this is sample size, I am going to get quite a bit of uses out of this. Also, I really only need to use it once a week or so, which means I will use even less. I am really happy with this product. This is definitely turning out to be a great box.




$62.00 - 1.6 oz    ($1.94 Value)

I, unlike most everyone, love perfume samples. I can’t seem to give myself to an entire bottle of fragrance, and I like to change it up (A LOT), so these samples sizes are truly perfect for me. This scent in particular is really fun and smells great. It has notes of mandarin, apricot, and sandalwood, which create a warm and energetic scent that makes you feel like you’re on an island drinking a pina colada. While this scent is great, and I do like it a lot, the timing is weird. We are going into fall, we are nowhere close to spring and summer anymore, and all my tropical vacations and days next to the ocean have escaped me and are a distant memory. Right now, I am looking to wear darker and warmer scents to match my sweaters ultimately. I do like this scent, but as you know I won’t purchase this full size, but I am more interested in wearing warm vanillas or snappy citrus this time of year. I will save this for those afternoons on the beach.




$16.00 - 3.38 oz    ($3.79 Value)

It is going to be weird when I tell you this, but I do not have a product that is solely for removing makeup. Now that I’ve admitted to that, I really don’t know how I’ve gone this long without it. I have your typical micellar water and makeup removal wipes, but sometimes they just don’t want to get rid of that waterproof mascara and no-budge eyeliner. I always have to “wear” eyeliner at least two days in a row, because it will just not go away. This formula works wonders removing all of that and more. Plus, I don’t have to tug, which creates wrinkles. This is another sample that will last me forever, because you don’t really have to use all that much, but I wouldn’t exactly call this multitasking, since it is pretty specific. Great product, though.




$24.00 - 1 oz    ($2.40 Value)

This “was” the sample choice for the month, but I, for the first time yet, forgot to pick it out, and I was basically left with whatever no one else wanted. I was going to pick out the tinted lip color from this brand, but it’s my own fault. I don’t use highlighters that often, which is why I wouldn’t have picked this out, but now that I have it, I am pretty excited to use it. The color, even though a little too dark to be used as a highlighter with my skin tone, is very beautiful, and the shimmer is perfect. Also, this tube is so easy to use, and I much prefer blending with my fingers afterwards than with the typical brush I’d use with the liquid highlighters I’ve used in the past. I may still be a little bummed about not getting that lip color, but this highlighter is a great alternative. Sometimes it pays to move outside your comfort zone.


Overall, I am really happy with this month’s box, but then again, I am always really happy. That scrub and shampoo is great, and the eye makeup remover and highlighter will now become permanent products in my beauty routine. I even really like the perfume, but the season is just a little off. I will hold onto it until then. I just realized, this box is supposed to take time out of my beauty routine, and I just added two steps instead. Oh, well. This month’s box has a value of $19.14. That is not great, but I’m still happy with that amount since I loved all the products so much. It really is the value of the products and not the dollar value when it comes to this box. I am already looking forward to October!


If you would like to try Birchbox for yourself just click here. It is a great way to try out new products and brand at an affordable price.

No comments:

Post a Comment