Saturday, October 22, 2016

Barkbox Medium October 2016 Review - Halloween

Yeah! My Barkbox (well, my dog’s Barkbox) has arrived for the month of October, right in time for the best holiday, Halloween. Barkbox is a monthly subscription box that delivers toys and treats to your door curated around a theme. The prices vary due to your subscription length, but I pay $20 a month for a 12-month subscription. For that price, this is a very affordable box, and definitely holds its value. They also offer three different box options for your dog’s size: Small, Medium, and Large. My dog is 25lbs, so I receive the box for medium dogs.


This month’s theme is obviously Halloween and all the spooky and scary treats that go along with this month. This may be just a little too generic, but when it comes to dog toys and treats, I am happy to share the holiday scare with my dog. I am hoping for some Halloween related treats, possibly candy bar shaped, and haunted toys. It would be really cool if they included a costume in the box, as I have yet to get him one, and it is always fun to dress your dog up for Halloween. Again, the wrapping and card are really cute, and you can tell that they have put a lot of time into these. They also included a sign for your door to let trick or treaters know you are pet inclusive. I live in an apartment, and don’t really get many people to my door, but I will save this for later Halloweens.




$6.00 - 5.5 oz

What would be Halloween without some treats for the pup as well. Heck, they deserve it. And, what could be more fitting then these Boo Berry treats. These tresats made with chicken blueberries, chickpeas, tapioca, flaxseed, and potatoes are both healthy and delicious. My dog of course had to give them a few sniffs first, but became an instant fan. Plus, they are shaped like scary cats. Seriously, what could be cuter and more frightful to both you and your dog. I love giving these out to my dog during this time of year, and I know they are also not going to make him feel terrible like I’ll be feeling after eating all that candy, because they only include natural and healthy ingredients. I love these treats, and so does he!




$10.00

A fan of the classic movie, Hocus Pocus, this book of spells with the fur cover, hand closer, and that scary eyeball brings back some great nostalgia. A stuffed toy with a squeak, this scary book is perfect for tossing or tugging, and my dog will even play with it by himself. Like always, he has to kill the squeak first and foremost, so this toy does already have a hole, but it stays up pretty nicely. I think this toy is really cute, and my dog brings it everywhere with him, so I know that he likes it as well. Trust me, I won’t be putting this away after the holiday is over.




$7.00 - 6 oz

While these treats don’t exactly go perfectly with the Halloween theme, I think they are perfect for this time of year. Once the weather turns cool outside, I want to warm up with some savory soups or those classic home cooked meals. These lamb savory snacks made by the loved book series, “Chicken Soup for the Soul,” give all the warmth my dog will need as the temperatures drop. These treats are made with great ingredients like lamb, brown rice, oat, molasses, chicken, and potato. These are on the softer side, so they’d be perfect for rewarding or learning tricks.




$12.00

What says Halloween any more than the iconic jack o’ lantern? I would have to say, not much. This orange plush seemed to be your typical round toy, but it turned out being so much more. The top comes off, exposing a string of guts and seeds, but the real surprise was the elastic making this a tug toy as well. My dog always brings me his stuffed toys to tug, so this will be perfect for him. Also, since it’s not a “scary” pumpkin, I think this will be fitting through fall. I think this is my favorite item in this month’s box, and while I didn’t give it to my dog yet because he is still living in the glory of the book, I know he will love it as well.




$3.00 - 1.41 oz 

Again, this doesn’t have to do much with the Halloween theme, but that doesn’t stop me from thinking this is a great item. These Dog for Dog food bars are made with healthy ingredients like flaxseed, peanut butter, brown rice, and molasses, and just like a granola bar for humans, this bar is perfect for throwing in your bag during a hike, stuffing in your glove compartment when your own the road with your dog, or even an energy boost during exercise. Also, they donate a bar for every single one they sell, so this bar already gave back to another dog in need. I love these bars, and may have to stock up on them. We are always traveling, and it will be great to have these around for those times in need.



Overall, I am in love with this box. Even though two of the items didn’t go perfectly with the Halloween theme, I think they were great additions, and will still be perfect for this time of year. That pumpkin toy is my absolute favorite, but the book of spells is a close second. My dog is a fan of all those treats as well. I think the Boo Berry treats shaped as cats is pretty hilarious. This month’s box has a value of $38. That is well more than the $20 I spent, and even if I wouldn’t pay those exact prices if I were to purchase on my own, I think I got a pretty good deal with this items. November is all about Thanksgiving, so I hope we have some great themed holiday toys and treats in store for use next month. 


If you would like to try Barkbox for yourself, just click here. It is a great way to treat you dog to great quality toys and treats without spending too much money.

No comments:

Post a Comment