Saturday, October 22, 2016

Sephora Play! October 2016 Review - The Cool Cut

The best news ever, my Sephora Play! box has arrived for the month of October, and they really kept the suspense alive. Many of my subscription boxes arrive around the second week of the month, but this one took it’s time. I am glad it finally arrived, none the less, and I can’t wait to see what is inside. Sephora Play! is a monthly subscription box that delivers six beauty samples (and sometimes full sized products) to your door for only $10 a month. These are all products sold in store at Sephora, so you get a healthy mix of high quality products at a range of prices. I am a relatively new subscriber to this box, so it is still super fun and fresh, which means of course, I can’t wait to see what is inside.


This month’s theme is “The Cool Cut.” It is all about those new products on the market that everyone will be talking about and obsessing over. The best part, we get to try them first. I really like this theme, because I always want to try out the best of new releases, but that also means these products are going to be great. I remember receiving my first dry shampoo or beauty blender, and now they are everywhere. I know these products probably won’t be that life changing, but more on the level of Ouai wave spray. Along with the theme, each box comes with a fold out with details to each item and also recommended uses. I love this, and actually read and reference these often. Icing on the cake, each box also comes with a Sephora Play! card to take with you on your next trip to the store. Not only will they give you an exclusive how to with your products, but you’ll also rack up extra points to use on future purchases.



NUDESTIX Intense Matte Lip + Cheek Pencil in Belle

$24.00 - 0.088 oz    (Full Size!)


This three in one product can be used as a lip liner, a lip stick, or a blush with its ultra-soft formula in this self sharpening pencil. Before I say more, I must bring up how this product is full size. I paid only $10 on this box, and this product alone costs more than double. If you did purchase from the store, this does come with a sharpener and tin, but we all have those lying around and never really justify the cost. This color is absolutely perfect for fall, a plum nude, and while I prefer powder blush, this is great as a lipstick. I love how it lines as well, which makes my lips look full and beautiful. I’ve used products like this in the past, but nothing has shined like this. I definitely think this pass the cool cut for a reason, and I would love to try out this product in different colors.



Skin Inc Pure Revival Peel 


$55.00 - 2 oz    ($4.68 Value)


I am a fan of peels so I was excited to see this product in my Sephora Play! box. This product promises to visibly and gently slough away dead skin cells to reveal brighter and renewed skin. By rubbing it across dry, clean skin, it only takes a few minutes to work its magic, then just rub in small circles and rinse with warm water. It is seriously that easy. My skin has been my worst enemy lately, as it has been extremely oily, breaking out, and appearing dull, so this product could be the answer to my prayers. With only one use, this did leave my skin feeling great and looking more youthful and alive. I am really digging this product, and since you don’t need to use a whole lot each time, I will get a few more uses from this tube.




Too Cool For School Egg Mellow Cream


$36.00 - 1.76 oz    ($4.30 Value)


Out of everything in this month’s box, this was the most intriguing to me. I don’t know if it’s the cute packaging or the promises for younger looking skin, but all I knew is I needed to try it out. This medium volume cream can be used as a serum, moisturizer primer, egg cream, neck cream, or sleeping mask. I decided to use it as a sleeping mask to see the best results, and hopes to see changes in dryness, firmness, elasticity, dullness, and uneven texture like promised. It felt very luxurious when applying, and wasn’t sticky. In the morning, I noticed a small improvement to my skin texture, but nothing major. I bet there would be noticeable changes with longer use. I love this cream, and would really like giving it a longer try, especially with its lack of parabens, sulfates, and phthalates. The sample is quite small, though.




Tom Ford Orchid Soleil 


$120.00 - 1.7 oz    ($3.53 Value)


I really enjoy receiving fragrance samples, because I don’t like committing to one fragrance, and I really like to mix it up to match my mood or the event. This scent by Tom Ford was created to capture the seductive warmth and reflective bare skin of a woman. I am not sure what that means or why it has to be so dramatic, but this scent will definitely be warm and sexual. With notes of tuberose, black orchid, vanilla, chestnut, and patchouli, this is a perfect scent for this time of year. I could picture myself wearing this to a romantic fall dinner date or a night of sipping wine and hanging out by the fire. I am not in love with this scent, but I will be happy to wear it this fall and coming winter. Heck, Christmas parties are right around the corner. I am glad I know have this perfume sample to join the rest.



Verb Leave-In Mist

$14.00 - 8 oz    ($1.75 Value)


Within the past year or so, leave in hair mists have become a daily favorite. I love how they detangle and condition, making it easy to brush, preps hair for styling, and also smooths and adds shine. They give my hair that extra lift and touch to instantly go from bland to luscious. Plus, they are so easy. I could easily compare this product to my favorites, and I love how it makes my hair so easy to brush while damp, but also dries shinier. I did notice my other hair products working better with this as well. They even recommend using this mid-day to give your hair a lift, but that will probably be too much for my fine and thin hair. I am also a fan of the light scent. It just adds to the overall experience.




Smashbox Always On Matte Liquid Lipstick in Driver's Seat


$24.00 - 0.13 oz    ($6.00 Value)


This highly pigmented liquid lipstick is long lasting, lip smoothing, and ultra-light, which sounds like everyone’s dream lipstick. I am personally not a fan of liquid lipsticks, because they tend to be drying and sticky, but this is not the case. I am impressed with this formula, and could really see it changing my mind on this type of product. Also, the color is wonderful. The warm, rosey pink with a hint of purple is natural enough for fall without being your typical wines and nudes. This color and product definitely made the cool cut for a reason, and I can see a lot of girls wearing this into spring. Plus, there are no parabens, sulfates, or phthalates included, and the diamond want gives the perfect application. I am going to get compliments with this one.




I am pretty darn excited about this box, and really like all of the samples. That mello cream, peel, and hair mist will definitely become instant favorites, while the two lip colors will give me great lip options this fall. I am also happy with the perfume sample, and will definitely be wearing it soon. I do wish I only received one lip color, as I’d prefer variety, and we all know I already have quite a large stash of lipsticks already, but at least I like the colors and they are both very trendy. This month’s box has a value of $44.26. I spent $10 on this box, so that value is crazy. Some of the samples were a little small, but since the makeup products were on the larger size, that does make up for it. I think this was a great box, and I can’t wait to see what is in store for the last fall month.


If you would like to try Sephora Play! for yourself, just click here. It is a great way to sample the best of beauty, and for you Sephora regulars, it is also a fun way to rack up on points.

No comments:

Post a Comment