Sunday, October 16, 2016

Ipsy Glambag October 2016 Review - Black Magic

Yeah, my Ipsy Bag has arrived for the month of October, and I am pretty excited to see all the products inside. Ipsy is a monthly subscription box that delivers at least five beauty samples and full size products in a themed makeup bag for only $10. The value is usually great as well, like $40 or more. Also, they tend to deliver about two full size products in each bag, so you aren’t getting those one use foil samples. Ipsy is makeup heavy, so this subscription is perfect for you if you are interested in stocking up your makeup bag or beauty collection.


This month’s theme is Black Magic. I do like that Ipsy’s themes go well with the month, but the products tend to not match in the least. I think the only thing that actually goes along with the theme would be the makeup bag. Each month, Ipsy delivers a specially created makeup bag with all the samples inside. These are great for travel, storage, or even to use as gifts. I love October and Halloween especially, so this theme and bag is perfect for me. I love all the cute and creepy characters, and this will be perfect for storing my Halloween makeup and eyelashes to pull out year after year. Maybe, just maybe, the products will actually go along with the theme. We will see. 



Beaute Basics Eye Shadow in Satin Taupe

$3.99 - 0.14 oz    (Full Size!)

While this is a full size product, I am not too thrilled about it at all. First off, I’ve received this same eyeshadow color multiple times. Second, this is really a cheap brand and the product isn’t the best quality. Like I said before, though, it is a full size, so you can get multiple uses, and it is a really pretty color. Also, this color is perfect for fall, and I could see it working with quite a few Halloween costumes. Unfortunately, it doesn’t go along with the theme, as I couldn’t see a single witch wearing this warm, taupe shade. I am not sure what I will be doing with this eye shadow, because I couldn’t possibly go through my other colors and require to pull this out, but it is too pretty to give away. Technically, this wasn’t a hit or a miss. Just middle of the road. 




theBalm Cosmetics Hot Mama! Shadow/Blush

$21.00 - 0.25 oz    ($1.68 Value)

OMG! I love theBalm. It is one of my favorite makeup brands. Their products are high quality, and the packaging is so cute. I also think their colors are beautiful and on trend. One thing I don’t love, their powder samples are so tiny, and sometimes they are hard to use. Imagine coating a large blush brush from this tiny pan. Anyways, I love this color, it is more of a blush, with a touch of that bronzer coloring, which makes it a beautiful shade to wear from late summer to early winter. We all still have that summer kissed skin, so bronzer looks natural, but the warmth of the blush makes it the perfect transition into fall. I love this sample, enough to really work for the product. My only complaint, give us larger samples!



Essence Cosmetics Superfine Waterproof Eyeliner Pen

$2.99 - 0.03 fl oz    (Full Size!)

While this may be the only product to truly go with the theme, this is the one item I am least excited for. I receive so many black eyeliners from my subscription boxes, and I rarely (like once a month) wear eyeliner, so I already have enough, and I could never possibly go through them all. I do have to say, this does have an ultra-fine point, so you can have a lot of fun creating fun designs, possibly even for your Halloween costume. This also did seem to last long when I sampled it on my arm. Maybe I will keep this with my Halloween makeup now that I have this super cute bag. Otherwise, this would be a complete bust for me. 



Preventive Measures 101 Lips 101 After Hours Lip Balm

$13.00 - 0.15 oz    (Full Size!)

At first, I was completely bored by this product, and really had no interest in another chap stick. That is until I tried it out, and it was love at first sight. This lip moisturizer was so soft and smooth and super lux. It felt like the richest satin on my lips that would make the most cracked lips feel amazing. I seriously can not stop raving out this product. Packed with antioxidants, this after hours lip moisturizer will be my favorite accessory during these cool and dry months. Also, the “after hours” name is perfect for Halloween. I absolutely love this product, and this may be my favorite discovery to date. 



Dermelect Rapid Repair Facial Moisturizer

$38.00 - 2 oz    ($9.50 Value)

This is the second product I’ve tried from this line, and since the first was nail polish, I am both surprised and excited to see a face cream from this brand. Another surprise, this face cream is actually purple, well, more lilac, but still shocking. I’ve seen violet products for your hair, but never for your face. This face moisturizer will replenish skin with its calming ingredients leaving it velvety soft and supple. I was a little hesitant to try this, due to it being purple and all, but I am surprised at how well it worked. My face felt super moisturized and additionally soft, and it didn’t turn it purple. I could see someone with yellow skin tones really enjoying this, as it would cancel the colors out and correct. I really enjoy this sample, but I like other products more, so I won’t be purchasing. 



Overall, this is middle of the road for me, and they usually are. I always receive some absolute gems with some absolute flops, but since it is so affordable, and it always has a great value, the bargain is worth it for me. To start with, this bag is really cute, and I will be holding onto this one for myself. Also, that lip moisturizer and shadow/blush are amazing. I seriously don’t know what life was before them. The facial moisturizer is nice, but no reason to jump for joy, but that shadow and eyeliner is just a bust. I’ve received these items, it seems, so many times, so they aren’t anything to get excited about. This month’s bag has a value of $31.16. It is usually more, but that is still great. Also, I have to remind myself, three of the four items were full size! That is insane for a subscription that only costs $10. I can’t wait to see what November has in store.



If you would like to try Ipsy for yourself, just click here. It is a great way to try different beauty products and brands, but also stock up on your collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment