Thursday, October 20, 2016

Barkbox Medium September 2016 Review - Back to School

I’m back to subscribing to Barkbox, just in time for the holidays, and I pretty excited to see how they’ve grown and changed since cancelling over a year ago. Barkbox is a monthly subscription box that delivers two toys and three treat/food items to your door for your pup all to their monthly theme. Depending on your subscription length, they vary in price, but as a 12 month subscriber, I pay $20 each box. I really wouldn’t want to pay much more, since the value is hard to match with the items inside, but I am tied to a lengthy subscription. By the end, I know my dog is going to have more treats and toys then he knows what to do with. Another great thing Barkbox offers, they curate boxes for every dog size: Small, Medium, or Large. I have a 25 lb pup, so I picked the medium dog subscription.


This month’s theme is “Back to School,” as all the toys and treats go along with the grade school theme. I have to say, I already have noticed some nice upgrades to their box. The paper wrapping has a super cute design with all the dog’s yearbook photo. Each dog has a quote or notable line about them, which is really funny and well done. I can see they took their time with this. The information card is a composition book, which really brings me back. I have to say, they used to include a detailed card with products and prices, but that is a thing of the past. I really liked to see what everything cost and where I can get more if I’m interested. I think the upgrades are well worth the negative change, though, and I am excited to dig inside this box. So is my dog!




$7.00 - 5.5 oz

Just like our childhood Lunchables, this container of “Munchables” contains two pockets, just like our favorite treat, with a side with “chips” and another with “sausage.” I loved it whenever my mom splurged on these treats, and I think my dog feels the same way. Of course, he devoured the sausage treat, but was a little more iffy about the chip. A few sniffs later, and this new treat was chomped up. I will say, the chips were a little messy, so I’d recommend feeding you fur child those on hard wood floor, but my dog was willing to do the cleanup for me with his tongue. These treats are super cute and also offer variety unlike most sealed bags. Plus, they fit the theme perfectly. Besides the mess, these are a win.  




$12.00

I see that Barkbox has gotten into the toy game themselves and now creates some of their own to sell and to put in their boxes. I actually like this a lot, because I always see the same toys over and over, and when I was first subscribed, I would get the same type of toys that wouldn’t match the theme. I swear I received the same alien guy three times in different colors and sizes. This peanut butter and jelly sandwich is the most notorious packed lunch food, and I have definitely eaten my fair share. Also, this is super cute. Really though, it is just a plush and has no fun additions. If it did have a squeak, my dog would kill the toy to get to it, so at least I know this will last longer, but that also brings the enjoyment down. I think we will be playing a little toss and tug with this, but I don’t think it will be used as often as some of his other toys.




$6.00 - 5.5 oz

This month’s bag has delivered some iconic school lunch meals, but we all know the repulsive sloppy joe, and dreaded those lunch days. These treats, on the other hand, these treats aren’t turning my dog away, but instead comes running. Shaped like the sandwich and are made beef, oat, barley, tomatoes, potatoes, and flaxseed. I love how most of these ingredients match those of an actually sloppy joe, so it feels as though he can share lunchtime with us in an even more special way. This bag is pretty full, too, so this will last through weeks of potty breaks and amazing tricks. This guy is a definite fan.   




$12.00

Nothing says school like a number 2 pencil, or in this case a number poo pencil. This plush with squeak is shaped like our childhood writing utensil, which makes it perfect for tossing and tugging. This toy included a squeak, so my dog couldn’t help himself from tearing it apart. That means it is already in bad form, but it still has enough stuffing to toss it around a little. While this isn’t as cute or creative as the sandwich, my dog loves it, and he carries it around almost everywhere he goes. If only we could teach him how to write.




$6.00

Out of all the items in this box, this is the only one that doesn’t really fit the theme. They are also the most unusual treat I have ever seen. Shaped like large, crunchy cubes, these treats are made with yak milk, cow milk, and lime juice. Those aren’t exactly ingredients I would expect in a dog treat, but they are at least healthy. My dog surprisingly dug these, and loved crunching down on these airy treats. Again, they are a little messy, so I’d recommend handing them to your dog on hard wood floors, but if you have my dog, they will clean up the mess for you. Since there are only three in the pack, I’ve been treating these like desert for my dog, and only gets them after a long run or on a lazy Sunday to match with our ice cream.



Overall, I am really happy with this box. I love the variety, the theme, and the quality of each item. I feel like everything is higher end, and I’m not getting cheated with poorly made toys and crappy ingredients in the treats. I love that “Munchable” pack, and enjoy giving it as much as my dog likes receiving. That pencil toy is really fun as well. Really, I am happy with everything, and so is my dog. This month’s box has a value of $43. That is a little generous, I think, as Barkbox makes their own prices for these products, but since I only paid $20, I feel like I am getting a great deal on everything. I would pay about $6 on each product. I am happy with my return, and I can’t wait to see what else Barkbox has in store for my dog these coming months. 



If you would like to try Barkbox for youself, just click here. They are doing a great special right now for 6 and 12 month subscriptions, so now is the time to join.

No comments:

Post a Comment