Friday, January 20, 2017

Target Men's Beauty Box Holiday 2016 Review - Festive Fella

My boyfriend is going to be excited, because his Target Men's Beauty Box has arrived for the Winter season. And, he is in needs for some travel products for the holiday season, so this is perfect timing. Target Men’s Beauty Boxes usually come out twice a year, one summer and one holiday. They offer samples of products sold in the toiletries section of Target and cost either $5, $7, or $10. This box cost $7, which I am alright with paying, but since none of these items are that pricey, I would be hesitant paying the $10 ticket price. I like this box, because it helps my boyfriend stock up on travel products, but it also gets him to sample brands he would never try otherwise. He tends to stick to his favorites, and that’s it. I am excited to open this box with him.


Target started giving their boxes theme that go along with the season or holiday, which I really appreciate. Their products are loosely based on those themes as well. This holiday box’s theme is Festive Fellow. I am guessing these products will get him ready to celebrate those holidays with some cleaning and manscaping products. Target does offer some median priced brands, so I am hoping for some that will help get him out of his Old Spice rut. Also, it would be fun if an aftershave or a cologne was included. That way he will smell great for the holidays as well. We will see.



Gold Bond Ultimate Refresh 360 Men's Body Powder

$6.99 - 10 oz    ($0.70 Value)

He was the most unamused with this product, and at first said he would never use it. I believe the problem he originally had with the product is that he just didn’t know how or where to use. Right away I tried to explain, because I knew this is a kind of item that he would use and would work for him. My boyfriend sweats all the time. His body just runs hot. Sometimes he will workout and shower, and still sweat while sitting on the couch. This body powder will help soak up some of that sweat and keep you fresh. Also, it has a nice masculine, yet clean scent. I think it will take a few nudges, but he will benefit from using this. Especially in the summer. Plus, this is quite a large sample that should last a while.



Old Spice Dirt Destroyer Pure Sport Plus Body Wash

$4.99 - 16 oz    ($0.94 Value)

Unfortunately for me and fortunately for my boyfriend, Target included an Old Spice body wash in this month’s box. My boyfriend loves this brand, and it is technically all he buys, but I wanted him to reach outside his comfort zone. At least we know he will use it. He has never tried the sport before, but he says this is good, because he sweats a lot. Personally, the smell is my favorite. It reminds me of classic Old Spice before they decided to cater to the younger man. This travel bottle will be perfect for, of course, travel.





Colgate Optic White Platinum Express White Toothpaste

$3.47 - 3 oz    ($1.68 Value)

My boyfriend originally thought these were white strips, so I think I will be stealing this toothpaste from him. I love the Colgate Optic White toothpastes, since I love the effortless whitening in this everyday activity. I just don’t have the time to use white strips, so these help whiten just by brushing. I drink a lot of coffee and wine, so my teeth take a lot of crap from me, and this toothpaste does a great job cleaning those top stains. Also, this bottle is large enough for quite a few uses, but still small enough for travel. That is one of the main reasons I love this box.




Gillette Fusion Ultra Sensitive Hydra Gel Men's Shave Gel

$3.94 - 7 oz    ($1.41 Value)

My boyfriend was so excited about this product, as he said it is his all-time favorite shaving cream. He has sensitive skin, and often gets razor bumps when shaving. This shaving cream helps prevent those bumps, but also leaves your skin soft and smooth. That is what I am looking for when he shaves. Also, the fresh scent is nice, and it makes me want to get really close.  He says he normally doesn’t purchase this product, because it’s way more expensive than many other options, so I am glad he gets to use this without spending the extra cash. It’s the little things.





Every Man Jack Daily Shampoo & Conditioner in Citrus

$7.99 - 13.5 oz    ($1.18 Value)

This is what I am talking about when it comes to trying out new brands a products. He is definitely a 2-in-1 kind of guy, and of course he washes his hair every time he showers, so I really thought he would be excited about this item. Boy, was I wrong. He wasn’t drawn to the scent or the “hipster” vibe. Personally, I think this is great, and I like the outdoorsy scent. I am not sure if it works well, which will make it worth the price, but I am drawn to this brand otherwise. Also, I know he will use this once he needs it. I will just put it in the shower and wait for it to disappear.





Old Spice Swagger 2 in 1 Shampoo and Conditioner

$6.49 - 25.3 oz    ($0.44 Value)

While the last 2-in-1 shampoo / conditioner wasn’t a hit, this one is getting him excited. He loves the Swagger scent from Old Spice, and has actually purchased this product a few times in the past. That is great, because this is the ideal travel bottle for him. He can also refill and reuse if he is in a crunch. I like this scent too, and if it makes him happy, then it makes me happy. This wasn’t my first wish, but seeing how he’s reacted to new products, sticking to the classics is the better move.





Dove Men +Care Clean Comfort Body and Face Wash

$5.49 - 18 oz    ($0.55 Value)

If my boyfriend isn’t purchasing Old Spice, his next choice is Dove. I personally like Dove, because I’ve always been a fan of this brand, and the products cater what your skin needs. Also, it is usually reasonably priced. If I purchase him anything he needs to restock on, I always reach for Dove first. He is happy that this is a body and face wash, because it keeps it simple. Also, he agrees that it takes care of his skin, unlike other brands. I am all about this scent. It isn’t your typical men’s body wash, but still has a touch of musk. I like it because I can use it too. This will be great when I forget to pack my own.





Nautica Voyage Sport Cologne

$34.99 - 1.7 oz    ($0.82 Value)

My boyfriend isn’t your average cologne wearer, and usually only splashes it on for fancy events, or when he needs a freshening up after the gym. This isn’t his favorite scent either. He thinks it smells a little cheap, like a Walmart brand instead of a Macy’s cologne. I will say I agree. This smells like my high school boyfriend. Really though, this will be great to throw into his gym bag. I am sure he will eventually use it.



Overall, I really didn’t think there was anything too special with this box. It was supposed to have a holiday theme, but instead was just a collection of travel sized products that we’ve all seen on shelves for a while. That is, besides the Every Man Jack shampoo/conditioner. That being said, he will use the majority of these products, and this does have cost savings when you are buying the actual travel sized product. Otherwise, from full size to these sample size products, this box only has a value of $7.72. That is a mere $0.72 extra value. This bums me out a little, as I hope the value is always a lot more than what I paid, but this won’t stop me from buying him these yet.  


If you would like to try Target Men’s Beauty Box for yourself, be sure to log on in the morning on the first Monday of June and December. They sell out quickly, so prepare ahead of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment