Saturday, January 7, 2017

BoxyCharm December 2016 Review - Makeup On Pointe

Yea! My BoxyCharm has arrived for the month of December, and I am pretty darn excited to see what is inside. BoxyCharm is a monthly subscription box that delivers at least four, but usually five, full size beauty products to your door for only $21. These items range from hair, body, nails, and face, and they offer a wide range of brands as well. Also, they always have a value over $100, which is absolutely crazy for a box that only costs $21, and is one of the main reasons this box is one of my absolute favorites. I’ve discovered some of my favorite products and brands from this subscription, so I am excited to see what is in store this month.


BoxyCharm curates the box around a monthly theme. They do a really great job matching their products to the theme, so it is always a fun first discovery. This month’s theme is Makeup on Pointe. I think this theme is a little weird for this time of year, and I was really expecting a holiday theme, but I guess they can’t do that every year. I guess this would make since if you’re a Nutcracker fan, or you frequent the yearly holiday dance recital. I am hoping for some pastel colors to match that ballerina pink, or even better, some glitter to dress up those holiday parties and the New Year.



Pure Cosmetics Buff Collection Eyeshadow Palette

$50.00 - 0.48 oz

I am absolutely blown away by this palette. First of all, it costs more than double what I paid for this box. Second, these colors are magical. Normally, we receive dark or natural colors, which doesn’t always look that nice with my skin tone. Also, I like to keep it light, as I don’t really care for dark eye makeup, so these colors are perfect for me. I am in love with the light pink and the slate purple. Even the darkest color would work great if you wanted to do a purple smoky eye. I am a little surprised with these colors for this time of year, but pastels work great with winter as well. You don’t always have to darken everything up for these dark, cold months. Plus, it goes with the theme perfectly. 




butter London Nail Lacquer in Ruby Murray

$15.00 - 0.4 fl oz

Now, this is the color I think of when the holidays come around, but not exactly the color I would place on a ballerina. On that note, this color is absolutely beautiful as it takes a darker and deeper take on the classic red. This is a color I could wear on my toes to a holiday party with a classic little black dress, or on my nails for a festive look with a knit sweater. This is one of my favorite nail polish brands as well. It goes on really well, and it lasts longer than normal. I am in love with this nail polish, and I will be wearing it all winter long. I am glad I now have this color in my collection. 





OFRA Long Lasting Liquid Lipstick in Napa Valley 

$19.90

I always feel a little saddened when I pull out a liquid lipstick from my subscription boxes. If you know me at all, you’d be aware that I am not a huge fan of liquid lipsticks. I have dry lips, and these just tend to dry them out even more. I am a fan of how long lasting they usually are, and I really appreciate the matte finish. Unfortunately, this color is a little too wild for me. I have really light skin, and this purple would make look a little too gothic, which isn’t great, because I like to keep things light. I do really like this brand, though, and I appreciate seeing it in this subscription box. I just cannot wait for tub lipsticks to make their return.





Makeup Eraser Mini Makeup Eraser 

$12.00

This is actually the second makeup eraser I’ve received in a subscription box, and I am not too excited. The mini comes in a strange shape, long and thin, so it is difficult to use on your face. I will say, this does work better for eyes only. Second, I wasn’t too impressed with this product and what it claims to do. It does wipe away a lot of my makeup, but it doesn’t disappear like it would with a makeup remover cloth. Also, you’re just wiping water across your face, so it doesn’t really help clean your face. I would personally just use this as a regular wash cloth, but because of it’s shape, I never reach for it. I think I will hand this item off to a friend.





IBY Beauty Lip Liner in Rosebud

$14.00 - 0.05 oz

I do wear lip liner on occasion, maybe once a month when I wear more makeup than usual, but not often enough to have a bunch around the house. Also, this is not really a color I like, nor would pick out of a collection. I have no idea how this brownish red represents a ballerina or the ballet either. I do like this brand, though, and have enjoyed other products from their line. I’ve received an eye shadow trio of theirs that is absolutely to die for. Again, this product will be passed along to a friend. Oh, well.




This month’s box was kind of a bust, which really sticks since I look forward to holiday boxes so much. The theme was a little weird to begin with, and not all of the products delivered. I will say, that eye shadow palette is beautiful, and well worth the cost I spent on the box. The nail polish was also a hit for me. On the other hand, the lipstick, lip liner, and “makeup eraser” were all flops. I just don’t see myself using those products at all. This month’s box has a value of $110.90, which is something I can get excited about. I am normally in love with my BoxyCharm boxes, so it makes since that I don’t love it once in a while. 2017 is a new year, so I am hoping for great things to come.


If you would like to try BoxyCharm for yourself, just click here. It is a great way to build up your beauty collection, and they also make great gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment